3198. Hon Alison Xamon to the minister representing the Minister for Police:
(1) How many civil legal claims were brought against Western Australian police officers for misconduct in:
(d) 2018–19; and
(2) Please advise the causes of action under which the claims from (1)(a) to (e) were made?
(3) How many of the claims from (1)(a) to (e) have been settled?
(4) In how many of the claims from (3), were findings made against police?
(5) Were any of the officers against whom a claim was made in (1)(a) to (e):
(a) sanctioned; and
(b) stood down?
(6) If yes to (5)(a), how many?
(7) If yes to (5)(b), how many?
(8) How much have the claims from (1)(a) to (e) cost in:
(a) legal fees; and
Hon Stephen Dawson replied:
The Western Australia Police Force advise:
(1) (a) 2
(2) (a) Damages, False Arrest, Malicious Prosecutions, Pervert the Course of Justice, Fabricating Evidence, Trespass, Misfeasance.
(b) Damages, Negligence, Breach of Statutory Duty, Trespass, False arrest and imprisonment.
(c) Misfeasance in Public Office; Trespass, Malicious Search Warrant, Malicious Prosecution, False Imprisonment, Assault.
(d) Battery, Misfeasance in Public Office, False Imprisonment, Malicious Prosecution, Damages, Psychological and Emotional Stress, Embarrassment.
(e) Damages, Trespass, Wrongful Arrest, Battery, False Imprisonment, Misfeasance in Public Office, Malicious Prosecution, Negligence, Emotional Distress, Breach of Statutory Duties, Assault, Breach of Duty.
(3) (a) 0
(5) (a) Yes.
(8) (a) $90 000
(b) $313 000